Lending Club had a good, basic online flow to get money onto it's platform. I used UX methodologies to make it more successful and prove the value of a user-centered process.
1 Designer, 1 Product Manager, 2 Developers
What I Did
Responsive Web Design
The Process I Used
- Strategy Define the problem, clarify business objectives and success criteria
- Research Evaluate current product, analyze competitors, talk to customers
- Analysis Identify pain points, understand user goals, create/revise personas
- Design Create hypothesis with assumptions, incorporate user stories, sketch solutions, test prototypes to validate assumptions, REPEAT
- Production Handoff and guide final designs into development
After several iterations, the following themes we discovered held up throughout the process and made it into launch —
- Go Mobile First Simplify the design and content using a ‘mobile first’ approach
- Be Friendlier Use language with a friendlier more conversational tone
- Make It More Engaging Use sliders to set custom automated investment allocations
- Update the Look Use this as an opportunity to refresh the visual design of the UI elements to give a more contemporary feel and move away from the current dated look
The new flow was fully pushed live in December 2016 and proved to be a big success and a nice win for the design team in the eyes of company stakeholders. It produced a significant uptick in key metrics and better than expected conversion across the board, leading to more support for a user-centered approach and earlier involvement on projects going forward.